top of page


History of St. Mary’s National School

St. Mary’s N.S. Castlefinn is a seven teacher school located in the village of Castlefinn approximately 8 miles from Stranorlar on the main Lifford road.  A textile factory was built in the place where the old school “Barr on Chnoic” was formerly.  Sadly, however,  this factory is used as a store and offices now.  This old school was a joint boys and girls school.  In 1958 a new school was built for the girls and this building is still in use today.  Second, third and fourth classes are taught in this block and there is also a library and kitchen in this block.

In 1966 a new school was built for the boys.  This building pertains to the present day also and Junior Infants, Senior Infants and First Class are taught in this building.  It was refurbished under the Summer Works Scheme 2004 / 2005 and had a new roof and new aluminium windows and doors fitted.  This building is located beside the Hillhead housing estate and the school car park.  In 1967 the school of “Taobh Breac” which was situated a few miles outside Castlefinn (in the direction of the border) was closed and the pupils went to St. Mary’s as a result.  In 1977 the boys and girls school was amalgamated into a mixed school.   In 1981 an extension of two classrooms and a multi - purpose room was built and this is the present fifth and sixth classroom and hall.  In 1996 a further classroom was built.

Finally in 2004 a new extension was added to the existing 1981 extension

(5th & 6th block).  This contains a learning support room, a resource  room, a computer suite, a Secretary’s office and a Principal’s office.

School History: Admissions
bottom of page